Costa Rica Dome
costa rica dome

Costa Rica Dome

Peak Season:
Late April – Early May

Costa Rica

Charter Length:
18 Days 

4 Explorers

Expedition Overview

The Costa Rica Dome

300 miles off the western coast of Costa Rica. Approximately 70% occurs on the high seas, and the remaining 30% straddles the Exclusive Economic Zones of Central American countries. One of the world’s highest concentrations of phytoplankton and primary productivity rates occurs in the Dome, making the area a preferred habitat for endangered, emblematic species like the blue whale and leatherback turtle. In addition to acting as a significant carbon sink, the Dome serves a breeding ground, feeding place and migratory corridor for sharks, multiple cetaceans, sea turtles, large pelagic fish, marine predators, and seabirds

An Elusive Goal

To date, two expeditions have attempted to dive in the dome. The first was twelve years ago, and was led by National Geo and BBC, the other was six years ago, and that one was led by me. Both expeditions were unsuccessful, as we were both get kept out of the water by very strong winds. Mission Blue led a successful scientific expedition there in 2017, but divers have yet to experience the Dome.

I’ve been looking to get back to the Dome and dive there successfully. Over the past six years, I’ve been in contact with local operators in Costa Rica, who have been observing and reporting back on the wind patterns. They’ve reported back that the winds aren’t always strong, but cycle through periods of turbulence and calm.

This was excellent news, because it means that the periods of calm winds will present opportunities to dive in the Dome area, and now we have devised a plan that will give us a chance to achieve an unprecedented accomplishment in diving, photography, and conservation — to witness one of most unreachable phenomena in all of aquatic research.

The Plan for 2022/2023

The Plan for 2022/2023

I selected a three-week window of opportunity (exact date will be shared by direct inquiries) when we will be in Costa Rica having the time of our lives on land exploring the rain Forest, and at sea diving with mega-pods of spinner dolphins — waiting for the right moment to race to the Dome.

 

To summarize this adventure — we do not know exactly what we are going to get. We know for sure we will spend our time exploring the wonderful Costa Rican rain forest and swimming with super pods of spinner dolphins. While we are engaged in our activities, my team of observers will be watching NOAA updates for the right changes in water temperature and slowing wind speeds. As soon as they see the right weather patterns emerging, they’ll give us the green light, and we jump on our boat and cruise out full speed to the dome where we expect to encounter blue, sei, and fin whales feeding and migrating.

 

Send Me More Information

Expedition Leader

Amos Nachoum is a distinguished figure in wildlife and underwater photography, with a remarkable career spanning over four decades. His unique ability to blend exploration and artistry has captured the attention of audiences worldwide, with his work being prominently featured in esteemed publications such as National Geographic and The New York Times.

His talents have earned him numerous accolades, including the prestigious BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year award, received twice in recognition of his unparalleled skill and commitment. Amos is the founder of Big Animals xpeditions, inviting adventurers to join him on extraordinary journeys to witness the majesty of wildlife in both marine and terrestrial environments.

His 2019 documentary, “Picture of His Life,” highlights his relentless pursuit of excellence and undying passion for wildlife photography. It chronicles his quest to photograph a swimming polar bear in the Canadian Arctic, showcasing his ability to connect with nature’s most magnificent creatures.

Joining Amos on an expedition transcends the ordinary adventure; it is a profound learning experience, an opportunity to immerse oneself in the beauty of the natural world, under the guidance of a master photographer. His work serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of preserving the planet’s incredible biodiversity. Amos Nachoum’s expeditions are a celebration of wildlife, a journey of discovery and appreciation, from the depths of the oceans to the far reaches of the mountains.

Location

Costa Rica

Sample Itinerary

Details TBA – please contact us for more info

Conditions

Temperature
Water 80 – 82°F (26 – 28°C)
Land 70s – 80s°F (20 – 30°C)

Visibility
100+ feet (30+ meters)

Experience In Pictures

Previous Accommodations

Details TBA – please contact us for more info

Included

  • Details TBA – please contact us for more info
  • Amos guide and photo coaching

Excluded

  • International and domestic flights
  • Details TBA – please contact us for more info

What more can We tell you?