SPERM WHALE DIVING
April 23 – 29, 2017 – Stand By
April 28 – May 4, 2017 – Stand By
Day 8: DEPART Dominica for home. We will provide you the return transfer to the airport according to your needs.
*Trip details, e.g., dates, prices, vessel, accommodations, are subject to change without prior notice
It is time to celebrate! As one of the most hunted animals, sperm whales, almost to extinction, has made the best come back in the history of wildlife, and today, there are 250,000 sperm whales in the wild — almost as many as one hundred years ago. The year-round local population off Dominica is mostly dominated by females and their offspring. In fall the males arrive too, so historically, the months of January and February in Dominica see the most sperm whales. At this time of year, the western side of Dominica is protected from the Atlantic Ocean’s storms. In addition to sperm whale diving, for the eight hours each day that we will be on the water, we anticipate there will be many other types of big animals species there to photograph such as: killer whales, pilot whales, orcas, and an assortment of dolphin pods.
THE WHALE WHISPERER
Big Animals Expeditions is teaming up with dive operator Andrew Armour, known to the diving community as the ‘whale whisperer.’ Andrew became friends with the local sperm whales after treating an injured whale named Scar. Over time Andrew and Scar grew to trust one another and in an amazing show of harmony between animal and nature, Scar has grown comfortable around humans. Andrew wants to share his encounters with others, and you can join him through this exclusive BigAnimals expedition.
- Transfers in and out of Airport and hotels
- Six days of search and sperm whale diving;+ other cetaceans
- Lunch box and soft drinks
TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International airfare
- Hotel accommodations in Dominica
- Meals – breakfasts and dinners
- Private transfers
- VISA fee
- Gratuities to crew (US and UK pound widely accepted)
- Items of personal nature such as phone calls, laundry and drinks
PAYMENT & DEPOSIT POLICY
When we receive your deposit, we will send you a comprehensive and detailed Trip Preparation Bulletin about the experience and the destination. All trip costs are subject to change without prior notice until your reservation is confirmed.
- A deposit of 33% of the total trip price is required to secure space on the trip.
- Full payment is due no later than 90 days before departure.
- We reserve the right to sell any space that is not paid in full by 60 days before departure.
- Cancellation Policy
- Must be made in writing.
- More than 90 days before trip: Deposit will be refunded in full.
- 90 days or less before trip: Deposit will be refunded if space is sold, less unrecoverable costs of sales, and administration costs.
- No refund is made for unused part of the itinerary.
- The following are subject to change:
- Cost of services which are not included in the expedition price
- Flight time and schedule
- Weather, water temperature, and animal behavior
An expert guide and professional Nikon Photographer specializing in underwater imagery, Amanda’s photos have been published in major publications and news sources worldwide including National Geographic, Discovery, Times Publishing, CNN, and Science Daily.
In addition to being an expert underwater photographer, she is also an excellent coach who will happily work one-on-one with you to ensure you get the best possible shots of the sharks.
Amanda is honored to be a member of of The Women Divers Hall of Fame, The Explorers Club, a member of OAS (Ocean Artists Society), and a recognized shark expert, who’s gentle and friendly style is appreciated by both sharks and guests alike.