AFRICA SAFARI BIG 7
2016: Jul. 12 – Aug. 6
2017: Jul. 23 – Aug. 5
- Where: San Diego, CA
- Experience: 13 yrs Blue Whale experience
- Duration: 7 days
- Max # of Guests: 5
- Pricing: Please Inquire Below
- (Pricing will not include hotel & airfare)
- Activities: Free Diving & Snorkeling
- Water: 66° – 72° F(19 – 22° C)
- Air: 70°+ F (21+° C)
In Arabic, there’s a word, ‘safra,’ which means ‘a journey.’ It is believed that the word traveled into the Swahili-speaking regions of eastern Africa, stayed there, adapted, and was discovered by Sir Richard Francis Burton, who lodged it forever in our imaginations, as ‘safari.’
Africa safari in this case means only the best kind of photographic journey through the great wild places of Africa: Rwanda, Botswana, Zambia, and South Africa.
For Teddy Roosevelt types of the early 20th century, Africa Safari meant the ‘Big 5’ — lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos, and cape buffaloes — and back then the encounters were not peaceful. Since then, the loss of habitat and human encroachment is radically altering the populations of all wild animals in Africa, while at the same time, modern travel has become very efficient. And there, in a nutshell, is our concept for a Africa Safari Big 7 — Amos has got everything set up for an action-packed 30 days of extraordinary encounters between you and nature’s greatest wild creations. And what you’ll go home with are trophies of lasting beauty that do no harm.
Your Africa Safari will give you personal photos of lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, cape buffalo, and mountain gorillas — worthy of a spread in your favorite nature magazines. (Of course, you’ll have the chance to photograph lots of other extraordinary animals as well: hyenas, wild dogs, hippos, crocodiles, zebras, giraffes, monkeys, antelopes, wildebeests…because, you know, Africa.)
You’ll have Amos at your side to coach your camera work, with various lenses and the best ways to shoot in natural light. We’ll travel in relative luxury as a small group. We’ll visit Victoria Falls in a helicopter. We’ll get to know authentic tribal cultures. We’ll camp, ‘Out of Africa’ style, we’ll avoid common tourist destinations, and we’ll get a sense of Africa at its most welcoming and magnificent. And because Amos can’t seem to go too long without strapping on some scuba tanks, our glorious safari will end with a grand finale unique to BigAnimals Expeditions: diving with South African great white sharks. You’ll take spectacular underwater photos of them, too.
PAYMENT & DEPOSIT POLICY
When we receive your deposit, we will send you a comprehensive and detailed Trip Preparation Bulletin about the experience and the destination. All trip costs are subject to change without prior notice until your reservation is confirmed.
- A deposit of 33% of the total trip price is required to secure space on the trip.
- Full payment is due no later than 90 days before departure.
- We reserve the right to sell any space that is not paid in full by 60 days before departure.
- Cancellation Policy
- Must be made in writing.
- More than 90 days before trip: Deposit will be refunded in full.
- 90 days or less before trip: Deposit will be refunded if space is sold, less unrecoverable costs of sales, and administration costs.
- No refund is made for unused part of the itinerary.
- The following are subject to change:
- Cost of services which are not included in the expedition price
- Flight time and schedule
- Weather, water temperature, and animal behavior
Insurance: you MUST provide proof of travel and diving insurance
Amos has 30 years experience diving with Great White Sharks off Long Island New York, Australia, South Africa, and off the Farallon Islands, San Francisco.
Amos is also a very accomplished professional photographer who was the BBC wildlife photographer of the year in 2007 and 2008.
Throughout your trip Amos will be available to provide you with expert coaching on various aspects of photographing the sharks and their environment, with special attention paid to how to get the best performance from your equipment using both strobes and ambient-light photography.