Wild Coast, South Africa
Jun. 24 – Jul. 5
Jun. 14 – Jul. 24
- Where: San Diego, CA
- Experience: 13 yrs Blue Whale experience
- Duration: 12 days
- Max # of Guests: 5
- Pricing: Please Inquire Below
- (Pricing will not include hotel & airfare)
- Activities: Free Diving & Snorkeling
- Water: 66° – 72° F(19 – 22° C)
- Air: 70°+ F (21+° C)
– Depart to Johannesburg, South Africa.
– On arrival to Johannesburg you continue on a domestic flight to Durban. We will be met by our local operator and overnight at Umcomass.
– Early morning get together, pack up your gear for the drive south to the Wild Coast – arrive Mbotyi, the lodge. We will settle in and prepare our gear for action.
Days 4 – 10
– Commence our 7 days of sardine run diving adventure along the rugged, Wild Coast in search of sardines. We aim to locate shoals of sardines to view the feeding activity of dolphins, seals, sharks, and migrating humpback whales, we return every afternoon for the Lodge, hot shower and dinner, image sharing, story telling and photo coaching.
– Leave the Wild coast and transfer to Umcomass (90 minutes from Durban) for overnight stay.
– Group will ride to Durban airport to catch the morning flight to Johannesburg, and then on to your next destination.
PREDATORS and PREY
The rugged coastline of southern KwaZulu Natal province along the eastern edge of South Africa holds a mysterious attraction to untold millions of Sardinops Sagax (sardines) as they migrate 1000 miles between the Agulhas Bank at South Africa’s tip to the waters off Durban. Their annual appearance here in such vast concentrated numbers creates one of the world’s most spectacular feeding frenzies
Let’s consider who we expect will be in attendance during our sardine run diving expedition: Bronze Whaler, Copper, Dusky, and Black Tip Sharks; game fish — shad, garrick, and geelback; Humpback and Bryde’s Whales, and Common and Bottlenose Dolphins by the thousands; Cape fur seals, and a sky full of birds: Cape gannets, cormorants, terns, and gulls.
- Seven days of sardine run diving activities
- Nine nights at Mobtyi lodge. Breakfast and dinner
- Ground transport from Durban to Wild Coast and return
- Overnight at Umcomass
- Photo coaching
- All diving services
- Only six guests. One zodiac
TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International and domestic airfare
- Overnight at Johannesburg or East Durban
- Meals not specified above
- Overweight luggage
- Drinks and taxes
- insurance – it is mandatory you buy your own travel, health, and diving insurance
- Additional costs incurred due to independent travel arrangements
- Gratuities to the local guides
PAYMENT & DEPOSIT POLICY
When we receive your deposit, we will send you a comprehensive and detailed Trip Preparation Bulletin about the experience and the destination. All trip costs are subject to change without prior notice until your reservation is confirmed.
- A deposit of 33% of the total trip price is required to secure space on the trip.
- Full payment is due no later than 90 days before departure.
- We reserve the right to sell any space that is not paid in full by 60 days before departure.
- Cancellation Policy
- Must be made in writing.
- More than 90 days before trip: Deposit will be refunded in full.
- 90 days or less before trip: Deposit will be refunded if space is sold, less unrecoverable costs of sales, and administration costs.
- No refund is made for unused part of the itinerary.
- The following are subject to change:
- Cost of services which are not included in the expedition price
- Flight time and schedule
- Weather, water temperature, and animal behavior
Insurance: you MUST provide proof of travel and diving insurance
Amos has 30 years experience diving with Great White Sharks off Long Island New York, Australia, South Africa, and off the Farallon Islands, San Francisco.
Amos is also a very accomplished professional photographer who was the BBC wildlife photographer of the year in 2007 and 2008.
Throughout your trip Amos will be available to provide you with expert coaching on various aspects of photographing the sharks and their environment, with special attention paid to how to get the best performance from your equipment using both strobes and ambient-light photography.