SALMON SHARK EXPEDITION
10 Day Adventure in ALASKA
June 20-29, 2019
Up to 7 Guests
$7,800 per person
- Where: Anchorage and Valdez, Alaska
- Duration: 10 days
- Max No. of Guests: 7
- Transportation: Private auto, 32’ catamaran, Two 18’ skiffs
- Pricing: $7,800 per person
- Activities: Diving (air), snorkeling, photography, videography
Two private boats will take you to your daily adventures.
Arrive, get oriented, and assemble equipment
Transfer to Valdez and photograph a glacier
Transfer to the lodge and complete first dive
Six days of snorkeling with salmon sharks in the morning and diving in the afternoon. Evening wildlife outings for bald eagle encounters
Embark on an adventure to the Alaskan wilderness with Jennifer Idol. She will show you how to tell the story and provide image-making tips for this majestic landscape and it’s wildlife.
The adventure begins in Anchorage where flights are predictable and easy to reach from anywhere in the world. Only BigAnimals begins this journey in Anchorage to ensure everyone is acclimated and guaranteed to meet the boat and make return flights with as little stress as possible.
On March 24, 1989, the Exxon Valdez struck Prince William Sound’s Bligh Reef and spilled crude oil across the Gulf of Alaska. However, it was the 1964 earthquake and tsumami that first altered the small fishing village of Valdez. A local museum shows historic artifacts.
The oil spill damaged wildlife, including herring, the feedstock of salmon sharks. These sharks migrate between the northern coast of California and the Gulf of Alaska. They also migrate from Russia into the subarctic.
They are little studied cousins of mako and great white sharks and leave the area before salmon reach their season.
A Little More
While salmon sharks (Alaskan sharks) are the pinnacle of the trip, other notable wildlife experiences add to this unique trip. After searching each morning for salmon sharks, afternoons are spent exploring the other wildlife.
In the summer, moon jellies congregate into blooms or smacks. Their sting is almost unnoticeable but their aggregations can be more impressive than those that were found in Palau’s Jellyfish Lake.
Invertebrates dominate the cool waters. Giant plumose anmeones, giant Pacific octopus, hooded nudibranchs, lion’s mane jellyfish, and sea nettles are all prolific. Bring a tripod, wide angle, telephoto, and macro lenses to create a complete picture of the landscape.
Bald eagles adorn many of the trees, including juveniles at this time of year. Watch them dive for herring in the evenings.
TOUR PRICE INCLUDES
- 10 days of travel
- 6 days finding sharks
- 1 day preparation dive
- 7 total possible in water days and up to 6 dives
- All transportation from Anchorage to the lodge
- All meals
- Air cylinders and weights
- 7 guests
- Expedition leader Jennifer Idol
TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Nitrox or trimix
- International and domestic flights
- Rental of dive gear including dry suits (available to rent ahead of time)
- Alcohol (unavailable at the lodge, but you may bring your own)
- Personal charges such as laundry, fishing, or telecommunication charges
PAYMENT & DEPOSIT POLICY
Trip details such as dates, prices, vessel, accommodations, are subject to change without prior notice — unless your deposit is received and application is approved.
When we receive your deposit, we will send you a comprehensive and detailed Trip Preparation Bulletin about the experience and the destination. All trip costs are subject to change without prior notice until your reservation is confirmed. A deposit of 33% of the total trip price is required to secure space on the trip. Full payment is due no later than 90 days before departure. We reserve the right to sell any space that is not paid in full by 60 days before departure.
- Must be made in writing.
- More than 90 days before trip: Deposit will be refunded less administration fee and processing.
- 90 days or less before trip: Deposit will be refunded if space is sold, less unrecoverable costs of sales, and administration costs.
- No refund is made for unused part of the itinerary.
- Cost of services not included in the expedition price, flight time and schedule, weather, water temperature, and animal behavior are all subject to change.
Insurance: You MUST provide proof of travel and diving insurance
Question - how can we help?
Award-winning underwater photographer, graphic designer, public speaker, and author who shares compelling narratives of the natural world. She aims to provide an experience worth remembering and to help you with your trip goals.
She shared her journey diving all 50 states in An American Immersion, a photographic and narrative book published by Best Publishing Company. She has been diving for 24 years and earned more than 29 certifications, including as a PADI scuba instructor.
Jennifer’s work is widely published in media that includes BBC Earth, DIVER, SCUBA Diving, Alert Diver, and Sport Diver. Her photography of salmon sharks and Alaskan moon jellies has been recently awarded in the international photo competitions with Beneath the Sea and Ocean Geographic’s Pictures of the Year.