GREAT WHITE SHARK DIVING
November 10 – 17, 2016 (Standby)
November 17 – 24, 2016 (Standby)
October 27 – Nov. 2, 2017
November 2 – 8, 2017
- Great White Shark Diving Experience: 30 years
- Where: Guadalupe, Mexico
- Duration: 7 days
- Max No. of Guests: 10
- Pricing: Please Inquire Below
- Vessel: Southern Sport
- Activities: Diving
- Water 68 – 72° F (20 – 22° C)
- Land 60 – 80° F (16 – 27° C)
– Arrive: San Diego and stay overnight at a hotel of your choice near the airport. Wyndham Bayside (1355 North harbor Drive San Diego)
– By 7:30 Am you meet at hotel lobby the van that takes us to Mexico we head for Ensenada. This is usually a 90-minute ride, depending on border crossing, visa formalities and traﬃc. As soon as we reach the port in Ensenada, we board our vessel. We leave at midday for our 18-20 hours crossing to Isla Guadalupe.
Days 3 – 5
– – Arrive Guadalupe around 10Am and as soon as the three cages are in the water, great white shark diving begins. During our four days on site, the dive deck is open for action and excitement from 8am to 5pm.
– Depart: Guadalupe by 2Pm on the last day of diving and start the 18 to 20- hour cruise back to Ensenada.
– Arrive Ensenada at midday and return across the border to your hotel in San Diego or to the airport if you have a connecting flight on that day.
BigAnimal Expeditions offers this trip to a maximum of ten divers. if you choose to
remain in the cage lowered to just below the water’s surface and breathe through air
provided from a hookah line, no scuba certification is required.
Divers must be certified to venture through open water to the cage lowered to thirty feet. Maximum time spent in the cage is an hour, more than most wetsuit encumbered body temperatures usually desire. With two cages and only ten guests, it is possible to literally stay in the water from morning to night; the only limiting factor is your ability to stay warm. in order to make sure everyone gets time in both the surface cages and the depth cage, we devise a schedule that divides our divers into two groups that take turns in the 30-foot cage.
The cage is lowered four times every day, and each group gets to use it twice daily. For example, on the first day of diving, Group 1 will enter the 30-foot cage at 8am and 12pm, and Group 2 will use the cage at 10am and 2:30pm. the following day we will alternate times to ensure all our guests have the same opportunities to dive with these mesmerizing predators. in between deep cage divers, an almost unlimited amount of hours can be spent in the surface cages, and most people only take breaks to warm up in the sun before returning to the beautiful blue waters of isla Guadalupe.
We catch our own fish to make a fresh, highly scented, bloody mixture to drift in the current behind the boat. While we may cast a skip jack or mackerel to an oncoming shark for a photo opportunity, this is not done when the lower cage is in the water. We do not want to create a feeding frenzy.
Departing our gateway city of Ensenada, mexico, a 90-minute van drive south of San Diego, California, isla Guadalupe is
an overnight 150 miles boat journey. the island’s pine and cypress trees condense cloud moisture into fresh water springs, supporting a community of plants along the top ridge of the island. Sealers intro- duced goats to the island, and when their enterprises failed, the island was wiped clean of most vegetation.
Every shoreline bend has a unique sheer lava rock formation. Fur seals perch on large boulders, elephant seals, also with pups are inclined to slumber on rocky beaches.
Mexican-owned Southern Sport is a 110’ dive liveaboard with five double ensuite cabins on its upper deck, a master bed- room on the main deck, and two cabins with a shared bath on the lower deck. there is a large living room housing a full entertainment system and computer. the boat is fully air conditioned, has a water purification system, plus a Nitrox blending system. The vessel can accommodate 20 passengers, but we only take 10 guests to make sure everyone gets a unique, person- alized experience with as much time in the water as they can handle.
Southern Sport has the capacity to carry two shark cages allowing our minimum number of guests to enjoy all the time they want to be in the cage without having to wait or take turns. An automatic hoist raises and lowers the cages, two at water level with one at a depth of thirty feet.
The all-Mexican crew is extremely knowledgeable and they are extremely proud of their sharks. Adding a cultural taste of mexican cuisine to our experience, we can also accommodate other food preferences.
An added bonus is Amos’ availability to share his expertise on the various aspects of photographing great whites in this environment. Two-time winner of the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the year award, he pays special attention helping each diver to obtain the finest quality of photography using both strobes and ambient-light.
TOUR PRICE INCLUDES
- 6 days great white shark diving (according to your departure) on board the Southern Sport
- All diving equipment (tanks, weights, and belts)
- leadership by experienced expedition star
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- land travel arrangements; transfers to and from the vessel
- Comprehensive trip preparation bulletin will be sent after deposit is made
TOUR PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Airfare to and from San Diego
- hotel charges on arrival and departure days
- Personal charges such as Nitrox, laundry, meals ashore, bar, and telecommunication charges
- insurance – it is mandatory you buy your own travel, health, and diving insurance
- Park and Visa fee – about $100
PAYMENT & DEPOSIT POLICY
When we receive your deposit, with your confirmation we will send you a comprehensive and detailed Trip Preparation Bulletin about the experience and the destination. All trip costs are subject to change without prior notice until your reservation is confirmed.
- A non-refundable deposit of 33% of the total trip price is required to secure a place on the trip.
- Full payment is due no later than 90 days before departure.
- We reserve the right to sell any space that is not paid in full 60 days before departure. A refund will be made if the space can be filled in time, less unrecoverable costs of sales, administration, or special promotion.
- Cancellation must be made in writing.
- Deposits are non-refundable if cancellation is made 180 days or less before departure. No refunds for unused part of the itinerary.
- Dates and prices subject to change without prior notice.
Insurance: you MUST provide proof of travel and diving insurance
Amos has 30 years experience diving with Great White Sharks off Long Island New York, Australia, South Africa, and off the Farallon Islands, San Francisco.
Amos is also a very accomplished professional photographer who was the BBC wildlife photographer of the year in 2007 and 2008.
Throughout your trip Amos will be available to provide you with expert coaching on various aspects of photographing the sharks and their environment, with special attention paid to how to get the best performance from your equipment using both strobes and ambient-light photography.