Are black leopards really black?
Black Leopard Protective Destination
We have some incredible expeditions on the calendar. These are ‘Protective Destinations’ and highlight the animal. These animals are rare and could potentially suffer from “ego tourism”. Our Black Leopard trip, selected to be one of our protective destinations, accommodates just 4 people and takes place only once a year. These logistics are designed to leave as little a footprint as possible and giving you an exclusive experience. We are keeping the location undisclosed until registration. If you would like information on our Black Leopard Protective Destination please contact us now.
May 10 – 22, 2018
April 27 – May 8, 2019
Yes! Black leopards are black.
BLACK LEOPARDS REALLY DO HAVE SPOTS AND
1) Black Leopards are listed as vulnerable on the IUCN Red List because populations have declined following habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching for the illegal trade of skins and body parts, and persecution due to conflict situations.
2) Male black leopards grow to between 4 ft 2 in (127 cm) and 4 ft 8 in (142 cm) in body size with a 2 ft 6 in (76 cm) to 3 ft (91 cm) long tail and weigh between 110 and 170 lb (50 and 77 kg). Female black leopards are smaller in size.
3) Close examination of the color of these black cats will show that the typical markings are still present, but are hidden by the excess black pigment melanin. Preliminary studies also suggest that melanism might be linked to beneficial mutations in the immune system
4) Melanism is relatively rare in leopards’ population, with melanistic individuals making up approximately 11% of the species. Overall Leopard population estimated from 7,400 – 12,700
5) Black leopards are hard to find and the data on population is limited. Mainly found in the equatorial rainforest of Malaya and the tropical rainforest on the slopes of some African mountain and the Amazonia basin
“Three of my best weeks on earth were spent with BigAnimals Expeditions. I will forever cherish my time with the animals and will never forget the passion with which Amos leads his adventures”
“I have made eight trips with amos, and that speaks for itself. Unparalleled intimate experiences guided by a terrifically talented man”
Let’s go see black leopards
We offer over 40 years experience, 100% sighting and immaculate safety record. Always the smallest of groups for best animal encounters.
We Offer the Best in Adventure Travel
BigAnimals Global Expeditions offers the best of adventure travel. We explore with a purpose. We seek to view and learn about ocean giants and endangered species. Our efforts have earned us a 100% success and safety record. Join us for an unforgettable, life changing adventure travel experience you will never forget.
For over 40 years BigAnimals Global Expeditions has been leading premier adventure travel for explorers, scuba divers and non-divers, snorkelers, and photographers. Everyone is welcome. Come experience BigAnimals Global Expeditions.